I decided this week to go back one more time to our mission home which was destroyed by the flood. As I pulled into the driveway I was not expecting to feel the flood, yes the flood of emotions that went through me. I wept as I walked into what was the most beautiful home just two months ago and the spirit in the home which was so tangible. This was to be our home for the next three years and it had felt so peaceful. It was in a beautiful neighborhood with lots of gorgeous trees and pathways to walk or bike.
There was a stabbing pain inside of me as I walked through the home that day. It didn't make any sense. What had just happened? Nothing in the home had belonged to us except for some sentimental things we had brought with us. Everything was gone.
Although we had only lived there two months, it was as if I needed closure for some reason. I walked around still in shock of it all. The pictures below show what the mission home now looks like.
As I walked around the front yard, I saw a shiny piece of something that caught my eye. It was a very small piece of a mirror and the sunlight hit it just right to create a bright beam and I felt it was to let me know that Heavenly Father was aware of me and all that had happened to so many people.
I cried a little more and left with the little broken piece of mirror in my hand to remind me of the light I saw among the rubble.
But even greater was what else had just been found. The former mission president from 2011 had come back to Houston to visit some people and wanted to go through the former mission home they had lived in for three years. There was still some rubble that needed to be raked up from on the grass and put into garbage sacks. He and his wife and our former neighbors got some rakes and cleaned it up. As they were raking, the neighbor picked up this ornament and asked about it. The former mission presidents wife knew it belonged to us and she brought it to us. I was in shock. Of everything we lost, this ornament remained. The temple means everything to me and here was my ornament to remind me of this. It was not a coincidence. I had brought some favorite Christmas ornaments and I had had some special temple ones. To have this survive the devastation is one of the greatest gifts that has come from this experience. The Bountiful Temple Ornament was found in all of that huge horrific gigantic mess. I am still in complete shock and amazement. Lots of things to be in shock over I guess.
We believe there was some purpose for us losing our sentimental things we had brought with us. It has truly given even a little more empathy for those who have lost everything. Many have lost literally everything. The amazing things is that every time I ask someone how they are doing they share what they have lost but then they share that so and so lost so much more and that they are really doing alright. People have the most optimistic and grateful hearts. I am learning much from them.
Our missionaries have been such a blessing to so many people as they have worked tirelessly to help serve those in their areas who so desperately need help. We have the greatest missionaries and we love them dearly. We feel honored to be able to serve with them.
Hopefully we will be able to move into a home soon and we are beyond grateful for the Tolmans for sharing their home with us for so long. They are truly saints. I love Houston, I love the missionaries, I love the Savior and I love each of you.
#OfcourseIlovemyfamilyandfriends
#Liftandlove
My ray of sunlight
Adore all of the Sisters!!!!