Skip to main content

The Spirit of the Work Continues.......

I would just like to share that President Benson's statement of "We must flood the earth with the Book of Mormon" has taken on a whole new meaning.
  


 Donna and Mike with their family.







Barbaraand all of us getting to help her.  She was so grateful!


The process of cleaning continues throughout many parts of the Houston area.  People who need help go on a website and sign up. Then that information is filtered to service organizations, the Church being one of those.  We meet at the stake center and are given an address of who needs help.  We are assigned a team leader and go out in groups of about 15 and clean out the flood damaged homes  The term they use is "muck out" which means the sheetrock and insulation needs to be removed about a foot above the flood line and then  remove the nails from the studs. Everything is put out on the curb to be picked up by large trucks for removal.  It is hard work but very very rewarding. 

As we have gone to various homes to clean and work, I have kept thinking about how the Savior always went to the one.  Every home we go to is "the one."  Some homes I have worked in have been less than desirable to say the least.  One in particular was extremely horrific and had not been cleaned out at all so the smell was very bad.  We always wear gloves and masks.  As I was picking up soaked dirty stuffed animals, I grabbed one by the tail. As I picked it up I realized it was a little heavy to be a stuffed animal.  I turned it around and there were maggots crawling all over it.  My friend next to me said it's an animal.  I threw it down and the owner came in and had wondered where is cat had ended up.  It was something not soon to be forgotten.  After I went and caught some fresh air and began to work, I felt the love the Savior  had for the owners of this home who lived humble lives.  I loved getting to know them and learn of their story.  They were so resourceful and set up a tent in front of their home so they could live as they worked to rebuild the almost completely ruined home. We get to go to "the one."  We get to go to the one whether it's to flood victims in Houston or wherever we may be. 

Sunday sacrament meeting was again so very powerful.  The opening song this time was "How Firm a Foundation." Typically we sing verses 1, 2, 3 and 7.  This time we sang verses 1, 2, 3, and 4.  

Verses 3 and 4 were so applicable and strengthening and again think of those who have been so affected by the flood. 

3.  Fear not, I am with thee; oh, be not dismayed,
     For I am thy God and will still give thee aid.
     I'll strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand,
     Upheld by my righteous, omnipotent hand.

4.  When through the deep waters I call thee to go,
     The rivers of sorrow shall not thee o'erflow;
     For I will be with thee thy troubles to bless,
     And sanctify to thee thy deepest distress.

Tears flowed as we joined in singing this song.  I was again reminded that our trials and our hardships can sanctify us if we allow them to.  

After the sacrament our stake president invited any who would like to come up and briefly share an experience they have had as they have worked and helped others.

One man shared his experience of his group who went to a home that  had applied on line for assistance.  When the man opened the door and saw the yellow shirts he said "No way, you're Mormons and I want nothing to do with you.  Get off my property." The next day he called and apologized and said to please come back and help him.  We came back and helped and he said that he although he may not join our church he will always defend the church. 

A man came to help from Louisiana  because a year ago they were flooded and he came to give back. 
He said, "This year we are the home team."

We learned that Sunday there were an estimated 11,000 helping hands from Louisiana, Dallas, and San Antonio.     

The stake president ended with a few scriptures.  Matthew 25:38.....For I was an hungered, and ye gave me meat; I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink; I was a stranger, and ye took me in:......

People have literally been opening their homes to flood victims who have lost everything.  Matthew 25:40, "Inasmuch as ye have done it not one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me."

The closing song was "Put Your Shoulder to the Wheel."  I especially loved the words in verse 2 which are:

The church has need of helping hands and hearts that know and feel. How profound is that.

We are still staying with the Tolmans who have taken us in and been so incredible to us.  We will forever and ever appreciate ALL that they have done for us.  We are hoping to move into a home next month. Its truly amazing what you can really live with when you don't have much.  We can't even imagine what is feels like to have lost your home and everything and we see that often here in Kingwood. Yet......people are willing to give their last water bottle to someone who has none.  It's inspiring to say the least.

The missionaries are doing such great work and we love how helpful and hardworking they are.  We feel so blessed to be serving with them.  We love them!!!!

#Liftandlove 


  





      






Popular posts from this blog

A Miracle of Miracles

I decided this week to go back one more time to our mission home which was destroyed by the flood. As I pulled into the driveway I was not expecting to feel the flood, yes the flood of emotions that went through me.  I wept as I walked into what was the most beautiful home just two months ago and the spirit in the home which was so tangible.  This was to be our home for the next three years and it had felt so peaceful.  It was in a beautiful neighborhood with lots of gorgeous trees and pathways to walk or bike. There was a stabbing pain inside of me as I walked through the home that day.  It didn't make any sense.  What had just happened?  Nothing in the home had belonged to us except for some sentimental things we had brought with us.  Everything was gone. Although we had only lived there two months, it was as if I needed closure for some reason.  I walked around still in shock of it all.  The pictures below show what the mission hom...

Count Your Many Blessings.........

A little more detail regarding yesterday's sacrament meeting.  Four wards met at the Kingwood stake Center.  Most were wearing the yellow "Mormon Helping Hands" shirts.  Sitting on the stand and looking over the 400 plus members who had gathered together to partake of the sacrament was indeed something never to be forgotten.  The service began with "Count Your Many Blessings" which has taken on a whole new meaning after yesterday.  Men and women wept as we sang this song together.  Many have lost everything.  The words of this song are worth repeating.  As you read these words, imagine the strength, comfort, and encouragement from the Savior that was felt as we sang these inspiring lyrics. When upon life's billows you are tempest-tossed, When you are discouraged thinking all is lost. Count your many blessings; name them one by one, And it will surprise you what the Lord has done. Are you ever burdened with a load of care? Does the cross se...

Day of Service

Today was an amazing day!  Having a 30 minute Sacrament meeting was awesome followed by a day of service! The 14 missionaries which were in Lake Charles, LA have now been moved back to Vidor.  So 8 of the 14 missionaries are back in their regular apartments in Vidor.  The 6 missionaries from Beaumont will hopefully be moving back to Beaumont tomorrow or the next day.  We still have a threesome from Orange who have been in Welsh, LA. and should be able to move back to their apartment on Tuesday. It has been quite eventful. Check out www.facebook.com/texashoustoneast for photos of today's service activities.