Good morning Families and Friends!
My wife and I were out this morning walking from one LDS church member's home to another, where we have set up our command center. The Sommers and Tolmans here in Houston have been amazing to open their homes to us as we try and coordinate and make sure all of our missionaries are taken care of and safe and dry. We could not do this without such loving and concerned church members here. The weather was very pleasant and it was so nice to just be outside and not have it raining! Enough of that!
As of 8 am this morning, all missionaries in T.H.E. Mission have been accounted for and are safe. Here is a summary of where missionaries are housed:
32 young missionary companionships have been moved from their apartments. 26 of those companionships are housed by LDS church members. 6 companionships are with other young missionaries.
3 senior missionary couples have been moved from their apartments and are being housed by church members.
The extent of damage to missionary apartments has yet to be determined, as flood waters are still high. The areas on the eastern side of T.H.E. Mission got a lot of rain last night, but everyone is safe and no one has had to be moved. Most of those moves where done 3 days ago in preparation of the flooding.
We have seen flood warnings in Northern Houston, but those areas are not in our mission. Also, the news media shows the worst hit areas and does not show the areas where no flooding is occurring. They make it sound like all of Houston is under water and that is not correct. While there is substantial damage in many areas, the local members are very aware of us and our needs and we are in constant contact with them to make sure of any changes that might impact our missionaries.
Tonight there is a conference call with all the stake presidents in Houston and the three Houston area mission presidents, to discuss and coordinate anticipated clean up efforts. This will be a great effort to help protect our missionaries as well as provide them opportunities to help serve others here in Houston.
Last night as I was praying, I couldn't help but thank Heavenly Father for his kindness and graciousness in watching over and protecting our missionaries. I know Heavenly Father knows all and though I do not understand why some things happen, I do trust Heavenly Father. He the Almighty. I love Him!
Thanks for your love, prayers and support. Your missionaries are amazing!